Saturday, October 25, 2008

Working with Ashley

So as you know from the previous posting, Ashley has bad grades in school. She doesn't like that I am now involved in her homework and everything everyday. I have decided that she will at the end of each subject show me what she did for that class and we will review what she did to see if all info was understood and also to make sure that she finished the assignment to avoid an excuse later about the assignment not getting turned in or the famous one, that she didn't understand the assignment. I have started to quiz her to make sure that she is not just reading the answer out of the book but rather that she is getting the info from her mind. We will see if my way is going to work as the weeks go and we can review her grades.

I met with her biology teacher to find that she did know what each assignment was and that allot of her problems in that class was because of the group of friends that she sits by in there. That is no longer the case as I asked that she pulled away from the corner of the room that she is in and be moved to another spot, AWAY from her friends that she spends that class talking to and passing notes with. She obviously was not happy with me when I did this, I explained that even though she is getting a social experience by going to school the main reason to go to school is so that she can get an education, not to socialize. That didn't change much, she was still mad!! This weekend we will be studying for her biology test for Monday. She was told to bring home her notes and her book so that we could get a couple of solid hours of studying in to help her be better prepared, she hasn't said anything about it yet so I guess I will have to bring it up and get her mad at me again for making her put her mind into her work. I also discussed with her teacher that she be given the opportunity to finish a test after school if she doesn't have time during class to avoid her stressing about time and just writing whatever down rather than look in the notes for the answer. She uses the excuse that she feels pressure at test time and then feel like she spends to much time on one question and then doesn't have time to finish the test. She no longer has this as a reason if she fails her tests as he has given her the opportunity to do this. I found that they are able to use the notes that they take out of the book or that they take in class on almost every test and quiz so I am not sure why she is getting failing grades.

I talked through email with her English teacher who is Mrs. Farnsworth and to say the least I was not impressed. I have known that she plays her favorites but she is in for a rude awakening if Ashley is not a favorite and she thinks that she can get away with losing papers and things like that. In the email that I got about wanting to meet with her she just put her grades in it that I could already see without any explanation of the grade or the assignment. I asked Ashley to find out what each assignment that she got a zero on was and to see if there was any way of making them up. Ashley spoke to her and because of it she was given a lecture about being disrespectful and rude. What??? I wasn't there to see what body language was used by Ashley but I told her that if she even rolled her eyes that could be considered disrespect. She says she didn't but then she does it so often I am not so sure. I have given her info that should help her if she does it and that is to take all assignments for that class to a copier in her grandpas room and make a copy to keep in her binder until the report card is received that has that grade on it. If during that grading period she is told that she didn't turn it in then she can pull out her copy and she her that she did in fact turn it in as she has a copy. However, her just showing a copy of an assignment may not work so I have also suggested that she hand each assignment directly to Mrs. Farnsworth to eliminate the excuse that she didn't turn it in. We will see how things go!!!

3 comments:

Alison said...

Well, it certainly sounds like you are on top of things, Susannah. Good job.

I had Mrs. Farnsworth for English and liked her a lot. She definitely demands respect, though.
And since she is also into drama, she probably does cue in to body language and attribute a lot to it.

Amy said...

Good job getting after her like that. She may not like it, but I bet when those grades start coming up, she'll at least respect you for helping her.

I never had Mrs. Farnsworth for English, but I worked with her in a few extra curricular activities (Newspaper, drama, and sterling scholar) and Alison is right that she really demands respect and probably does pay big attention to body language. Good luck with her!

Potterspot said...

I did have Mrs. Farnsworth and am of a different opinion than is Alison. I thought she was a...well lets just say witch. It is probably because I expected to be the same as I treated her, but though she demands respect, she did not give it back to me, probably because I was just a student. At any rate, I did not fail her class but did to get A's either. However in ever other English class I had I got strait A's. Personally I think that is a reflection on the teacher. Maybe it is just me, but that is my opinion.